This story is the same for Henry Pogue. He was born May 5, 1829 in County Cavan, Ireland and emigrated to the United States in 1850 and arrived in Cincinnati in 1851, working as a clerk in a dry goods store, along with his brothers Samuel, Thomas and William. By 1855, Henry became part owner of the Pogue and Jones dry good store on Fifth Street.
In 1865, Henry Pogue bought the business of his future father-in-law, John Crawford, a dry goods store on Fifth Street and brought his brother, Samuel into the business. H & S Pogue was born. Brothers Thomas and William also joined this family business. The store changed locations in 1878 to Fourth Street near Race.
|1869 Titus Map|
|1870 Census showing neighbors Joseph Rhodes, David Williams and Hugh Kemper|
The Cincinnati Daily Enquirer (1852-1872); May 12, 1871;
|Mary Isabella Crawford Pogue|
The home is currently the offices of Vivian Llambi & Associates and was featured as part of the Cincinnati Preservation Association's Walnut Hills House Tour in 2010. The restoration won an award from CPA in 2009.
One more curious side note - The home just to the south, at 2306 Park Avenue, was built in 1900 for Henry and Mary's daughter, Blanche, who lived there with her husband, William Walker Smith and they named the home "The Columns". Natalie Pogue Gates and John Gates also lived in this home in the 1920's before moving to the "big house" next door.
|2306 Park Ave|
Hamilton County Auditor 2005