|1884 Map - Moessinger & Bertsch - Source|
William and Adele Oskamp's first home was on a small parcel of her father's land (at center).
Willadel was built on a larger parcel on Harrison Avenue in 1896.
William S.P. Oskamp was born in Cincinnati 1855 to a successful jeweler, Clemens Oskamp and his wife, Mary Fisher Oskamp. Clemens was born in Prussia and came to Cincinnati in 1840.
William S. P. Oskamp. Among the men prominently identified with the commercial interests of Cincinnati none is better known or stands higher in business circles than William S. P. Oskamp, head of the Oskamp Jewelry Company. Thoroughly conversant with the details of his business, energetic in all his commercial transactions, Mr. Oskamp occupies an enviable position in the jewelry trade of this city, not alone for his many business qualities, but for every trait that marks a true Christian gentleman and a man of honor. He was born in Cincinnati September 8, 1855, a son of Thomas Clemens and Maria (Fisher) Oskamp, pioneers of Cincinnati. For more than a quarter of a century Clemens Oskamp was prominently identified with the jewelry trade in this city, and through industry, pluck and perseverance he became one of its substantial and valued citizens. Although the scope of his work, in connection with his business, was always broad he was also interested in civic and social affairs, and was a strong factor in all measures tending toward the public good. His efforts were not confined to lines resulting in individual benefit, but were evident in those fields where general interest and public welfare are involved, and though it has been many years since he passed from the scene of earthly activities, his work remains as a force for good in the community. William S. P. Oskamp acquired his education in the public schools of Cincinnati and the St. Xavier College of this city. He began his business career in his father's jewelry store, and has since devoted his time and energy to the building up of one of the largest and most complete enterprises of its kind in the Middle West. After his father's death, in 1887, he became president of the company, and has since filled this position with credit to himself and satisfaction to all concerned. He is a man of ability and great business capacity, and is universally recognized as an authority on all matters pertaining to the jewelry industry. He has visited Europe many times for the purchase of diamonds and other jewelry, and has numerous personal and business relations with many of the leading jewelers and diamond firms of Paris, Amsterdam and other European cities. On November 25, 1876, Mr. Oskamp was united in marriage with Miss Adele, daughter of Michael Werk, of Westwood, and to this union were born five children: W. Herbert, E. Gordon, William W., Adele Regina, and Elsa Pauline. Two sons are engaged in the jewelry business with their father, and William W. is president of the Oskamp Ignition Company. They are numbered with the progressive and enterprising business men of the city. - 1920 Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Vol. 3
|Plaque at 26 W. 7th Street, Cincinnati - Source|
The Oskamp Nolting Company bought this building in 1947 and sold in in 1967.
The following pictures were found at http://digproj.libraries.uc.edu:8180/luna/servlet