|Google Streetview, 2012|
|Index to 1st Series (1789-1859); Deeds, Leases, & Mortgages; Hamilton County Recorder|
Fitzpatrick, John (0) Cabt-mkr, res, Ws Elm bet 8th and 9th.
Phelps Allen E. bowling saloon, s. s. 3d b. Walnut and Vine, h. w. s. Elm, b. 8th and
Bennett Joseph B., agt., 297 Plum (?)
RINGGOLD Fred,, (E, G, Webster & Co,) 297 Elm
Mork Jacob, dry goods, h. 297 Elm
Quinn H. livery stable, s. w.c. Gano and Lodge, h. 297 Elm
Quinn Harry R. clk. s. w.c. Lodge and Gano, bds. 297 Elm
Quinn Hugh, Iivery stable, s. w. c. Lodge and Gano, h.297 Elm
|1887 Sanborn Insurance Map - Source|
The Cincinnati Daily Enquirer; Nov 22, 1869; pg. 7
|Cincinnati Enquirer (1872-1922); Sept. 27, 1879; pg. 12|
|Cincinnati Enquirer (1872-1922); Feb 6, 1885;pg. 8|
1885 City Directory
Bennett Blanche, h. 297 Elm
Freeman Myrtle, bds. 297 Elm (also mentioned in the article above)
Gray Lottie, bds. 297 Elm
Moulton Geo. butler, 297 Elm
Cincinnati Enquirer (1872-1922); Jul 23, 1890; pg. 8
The practice of keeping the Bennett last name with the house of ill-repute continued with Jessie Bennett in 1890 (see above article) and Mabel Bennett in 1895. By 1900, Mrs. S. C. Murray operated the "resort" as it was called in the newspapers until 1911.
1910 City Directory
Anderson Lula bds 815 Elm
Courtney Helen bds 815 Elm
Davis Josie bds 815 Elm
Hayes Hazel bds 815 Elm
Murray Mrs S C h 815 Elm
Sanders Ada bds 815 Elm
Spillman Minnie bds 815 Elm
Walker Eugenia bds 815 Elm
In 1910, the Enquirer recalled the days of Kitty Bennett, when it was revealed she had died in New York and her name was really Mrs. Helen Smith. A murder had occurred in 1885 in the alley next to the house but Madame Bennett never told what she knew of the story.
|Cincinnati Enquirer (1872-1922); Apr 14, 1910; pg. 9 - Click to enlarge|
By 1912, the house had lost its ill-repute and became a boarding house. In 1915, 18 people listed this house as their home address. Renting furnished rooms continued into the 1940's and beyond.
|1904-1930 Sanborn Insurance Map - Source|
By 1986, the house had a restaurant on the first floor, known as Audrey's Silver Fleet, known for home-cooked meals. However, they closed in 1990.
Cincinnati Magazine; January, 1988
In 1991, Café Dunderfunk, a coffee house opened but by 1995, Merl's Eatery had taken over for the next year. In 1996, Aralia, a Sri-Lankan restaurant opened and remained there until at least 2001. In 2005, the building was converted into five condominiums, as they remain today.
|1968 - Hamilton County Auditor; Building is on the right.|
|2005, Hamilton County Auditor|
|2011-2013, Hamilton County Auditor|