While the Hamilton County Auditor has the year built as 1865, I could not find anyone living at this address until 1868. John D. Riemeier, a lumber dealer, moved here after living at 53 Hughes (old house number). Mr. Riemeier was in business with a Mr. Meier. Prior to this partnership, he was a partner with H. H. Riemeier, surely a relative, in the building and carpentry business.
His business was quite successful. He was also well-known in the community:
"Although concentrating his efforts on the many problems daily arising in the exacting situations of business life, he was never too much engaged to devote himself to the execution of the projects which promoted the well-being of the religious group to which he belonged. He built the church at the corner of Race and McMicken streets and was one of the dynamic forces in the organization and administration of the German Orphan Asylum. Ever altruistic in spirit, he performed his charities in an unostentatious manner, believing in incorporating the Christian ideal in the conduct of his daily life." - SourceThe church at Race and McMicken is now called Philippus United Church of Christ, but was originally called Philippus Kirche. This is the church with the finger pointing to heaven at the top of its steeple.
After the Riemeier family left the Clifton Avenue house, by 1890, the Homburg family took up residence. Emil Homburg worked as a clerk in the post office and his brother Fred was a teacher at the Technical School of Cincinnati, the predecessor of UC's College of Engineering. Their widowed mother lived with them as well.
|1891 Sanborn Map - Source|
In 1900, the Luecke family also lived in the home along with the Homburgs. John Luecke was a clerk in the City Infirmary. In 1910, Fred Homburg is teaching at Woodward High School in Over-the-Rhine. He wrote articles for The Journal of Geography such as this one on the Jordan Valley. The Homburgs lived at the home until the early 1920's. The Luecke family continued to own the home until the death of John's wife, Ella Marie, in 1939.
Most recently, it was owned by the Franciscan Home Development, Inc. from 1998 until 2008 as part of their management of low income housing.