|Source - Google Street View|
While the Hamilton County auditor dates the building above as being built in 1937, it was actually opened as a theater in 1916. The first Aragon Theater, located at 2108 Vine Street, opened in 1913 with Frank Wendelstein as the proprietor.
By 1919, the Aragon Theater chain, then run by William Gervers and J E Strietelmeier, had expanded to five locations:
No 1 - 2108 Vine (Mount Auburn, present-day Rothenberg Academy)
No 2 - sw corner of Wheeler and Warner (CUF, photo above)
No 3 - 1829 Elm (Over-the-Rhine, present-day New Prospect Baptist Church)
No 4 - sw corner of Warner and Flora (CUF, present-day Fairview Baptist Church)
No 5 - 1136 Belvedere (Mount Adams, now converted into condominiums)
In 1922, there were just four locations under the Aragon name run by William Gervers and in 1924, just the theater at Warner and Flora remained open until 1935.
|Enquirer Sep 3 1922|
|221 Warner Street - 1904-1930 Sanborn Insurance Map - Source|
|The Cincinnati Post February 5, 1955 p20|
|The Belvedere - Hamilton County Auditor|